When I arrived home in San Diego from the CAL-ED conference, I had the chance to sit back and think about the weekend.
I have often been asked what advice do I think is most valuable to give to a new parent and one of them that I always mention is Education!
Educate yourself! There are many ways to do that and here are just a few.
* Meet families with DHH children/adults! (Who use different ways to communicate)
* Attend conferences / workshops / panels.
* Know your rights as a parent and your child’s rights. And remember, YOU are your child's best advocate!
* Ask your Early Start teacher for resources to explore.
*Join parent groups in your City/State (online, e-news, face to face etc.)
* Attend public events for DHH families, Deaf adults, etc.
* Join as many Statewide/national Organizations as you can. (Many offer free membership to parents)
* Join a variety of Social online groups. (there are too many to list here - ask us if you want some tips!)
* Read books written by DHH adults, Parents, Professionals etc.
The list could go on and on…Explore is the Key!
This weekend I was blessed to have the opportunity to attend the CAL-ED conference. I attended workshops that focus on;
Strategies to improve creative writing,
One Page profile (By our very own Edith Wysinger),
How to support children in their learning differences,
How to define and address behavior challenges,
Get out there and do and touch as much as you can! At the end of the day you, your child and entire family will truly blessed and benefit from all of these experiences.
I look forward to the next opportunity to learn and explore this life I am honored to be a part of. If you want more information on opportunities that might be in your area, you have any other questions or you just want to chat please feel free to contact me at any time! My email address is Cora.Shahid@CSUN.edu and/or you can find all of our contact information at http://www.csun.edu/~deafproject/contactus.html.
Take Care and Stay in Touch!!